September 28, 2007

10 Random Tips that Save Time, Energy, and Frustration


After a very busy and eventful summer, I am happy to be back and healthy and ready to start bringing you more ideas, hints, tips, recipes, and rantings.

Here are a quick 10 super-easy tips that you can incorporate to save yourself time, energy, and frustration. They aren't complicated, and they work for me.

1. Say it, don't spray it. To keep non-stick spray from getting your counters sticky, place your dish on the open door of your dishwasher and then spray away. The overspray will just go on the back of the door, which will be clean next time you run the dishwasher.

2. Pick a pepper.
Next time you have an extra red, yellow, or green pepper languishing in the produce drawer in your fridge, don't let it go to waste, roast it. When we have the grill going and have an extra pepper, we throw it on, even if we don't plan to use it that day. Put it over the hot part of the grill and turn it every now and then until the skin is mostly black. Put the pepper in a plastic container and refrigerate until you're ready to use it. Then just slip the skin off, take out the seeds and membranes, and slice or chop to use in your recipe. The pepper will keep in the fridge for a few days.

3. In the fold.
This may sound like your mom, and if so, I apologize. Fold your underwear. No, I'm not joking. Years ago I just shoved my panties in a drawer willy nilly. I had to paw through the pile to find the color I wanted, and it took more time. Besides that, it was unpleasant aesthetically. I promise you, it only takes 2 seconds to fold a pair of panties (and coincidentally, it takes 2 seconds to fold a pair of The Bob's boxers), and I promise, when you open that tidy drawer you will feel good, and you'll find what you're looking for more quickly.

4. Lost and found. I read cookbooks for fun (I don't think that makes me strange at all!), and, of course, to get ideas. When I sit down with a cookbook I always have a pack of those little tape flags next to me so that when I see something interesting, I can just mark it. That way, instead of getting frustrated wondering, "Now where did I see that recipe," I can just quickly flip to the marked pages.

5. Fill 'er up.
Always fill the tank in your car. Now, I know there are people who will play the "gas price lottery" and try and wait until the price is lower to fill up. They just put a few dollars in at a time until they see a price they like. If you're one of those people, more power to you. The way I look at it, if I go back to the station several times a week to put a few more dollars worth in the tank, then it's costing me in time, which is worth something to me.

6. Iron it out. This is one of those tips that is almost so unconscious for me I don't know that I consider it a "tip." But I guess it is. I keep a water bottle next to the iron and ironing board, so I can fill up the iron when it needs it without having to traipse to the sink every time. One 20 oz. water bottle fills my iron up several times. One trip to the sink instead of 5? I guess that is a tip!

7. That's neat.
Storage under the sink can be scary. It's deep, it's dark, and there are all those pipes and fixtures and stuff. It is necessary to store things under there, but typically what I did was open the door, grab something quick, and slam it without looking. I hated that! So, a while back I came up with a way to keep it neat and organized without spending a bunch of money. Plastic dish pans, which you can pick up at your local dollar store, make neat under-sink bins and cost a fraction of what the under-sink organizers do. They slide in and out out easily, and keep your stuff from falling over and making a mess. For about two bucks, you can have a neat and tidy under-sink area.

8. Sign here. I have a jacket that I love. THE jacket. It's a shaped, denim blazer-type jacket that fits me to a tee, knows where my elbows go, and never needs ironing. I realized about a year ago, that this jacket was getting more action than any other single item in my closet. And for good reason. It looks good, fits great, and goes with everything. I wondered if there was a problem with the fact that I was wearing this jacket 2-3 times a week with various outfits – one day with a black skirt, white shirt, tights and boots - another day with cords, a long sleeve tee and flats. The answer is NO, there's nothing wrong with having a signature piece, something that makes you feel happy and wonderful every time you put it on. Do my coworkers notice that I wear this jacket a bunch? YES, but it is ME, it reflects my personality and because I mix it up, it always looks new. Get yourself a signature piece, whether it's a jacket, a bag, a piece of jewelry, or a pair of boots. The bonus is, when you're in doubt, you'll reach for that item, and save yourself time and preserve your sanity.

9. Take five. When I get home from work, no matter how I feel, I take five minutes and... do more work! Fooled you, didn't I!? This is no joke. The problem is, at least for me, if I go home and start to relax, I get tired and lose my motivation to do anything. If I take just five minutes to tidy up, put the coffee cups in the dishwasher (or wash them), clear off the table, and swipe down the bathroom sink, I sail into the evening feeling like things are much more in control. After that, I treat myself to a break before making dinner. Since I have done a little work, I'm that much further ahead. This works, give it a try.

10. You're on your way. I've said it before, I'll say it again. One of my top tips of all time is "Clean as you go." Make it a habit and you will always save yourself time in the long run. While making dinner, take the few seconds to wipe down the counter. While doing laundry, take a second to dust the washer and dryer. After you're finished in the shower, spritz it with daily spray. Little jobs can become major jobs if you wait until it's out of control. (I learned this thanks to my high school job at McDonald's. I guess it wasn't a waste of time after all!)

I hope you'll find some of these helpful, and try one or two out to see if they work for you.

1 comment:

LAC said...

Good stuff... I liked the one about the signature piece of clothing. I tend to lean towards one or two pairs of jeans that fit perfect and give confidence!