June 12, 2007

How to control runaway plastic container lids in one easy zip

This is a trick I have been using for years to reign in the clutter of miscellaneous plastic container lids. Zip-seal bags.

I got tired of the endless searching for the right shape and size lid, and the annoying slidy-aroundy thing they did right before they fell out of the cabinet onto my head. So, out of frustration I grabbed a gallon-size zip-seal bag and threw in all the round lids. I did the same thing with the square or rectangular lids. The bag seals and goes vertically along the side of the cabinet next to the stacked containers (by shape and size, of course).

The odd thing about this little technique is that it has been very effective for me for YEARS, and it's one that The Bob has learned and sticks with. His cleanup job after dinner is to put leftovers in containers for the fridge, and it's quick and easy for him to find what he needs because they are separated and in clear bags. He even puts them away in the correct bag!

I know there are lots of newfangled container-and-lid combos out there that are supposed to help you stay organized. But unless I throw all mine out and start over, I will always have the odd-ball container to deal with. So, I will stick with my zip-seal bag trick, and encourage you to try it, too!

1 comment:

LAC said...

Great idea!
I am going to try this.