November 14, 2006

How to wear a cheap shirt and get away with it.

This blouse is on sale on the Wal-Mart site for 7 bucks. That's less than two double shot lattes! I picked up two of them in white, so I always have one clean and ready to go. It's a cotton/poly blend, so it washes up great and only needs the lightest touchup with an iron, if that. I intentionally chose white because it goes with everything, and can be dressed up or down. Matter of fact, I'm wearing it today with a tweed suit jacket,a black pencil skirt and high boots. Saturday I wore it with my jeans, penny loafers and gray cardigan.

How can I wear a blouse this cheap and not feel self-conscious? Here's how to get away with it.

1. Layer it. The white collar and cuffs give the look I am going for under a jacket, a sweater or a vest.
2. Don't dress discount head-to-toe. I know many of the new lines at discount stores like Wal-Mart are much better than they used to be, but my general rule is to mix some of my better-quality items with the lower quality.
3. Don't tell anyone what you paid for it! Just wear it with pride, knowing you look very polished and put together!
4. When it starts looking shabby – toss it. When this white blouse starts to look dingy gray, or when/if the fabric pills, I will throw it out. If I happen to get a stain, I'll salvage it if I can by continuing to wear it under other garments. But, when it's time is up, it's gone. It was SEVEN bucks, comeon.

Enjoy the price, wear with pride!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!

That's the key--don't tell what you paid for it! And knowing the price, you don't mind it being somewhat disposable.

I'm going to check that out...Thanks!

Polly King said...

Peg – Yes, it's very very sneaky, but if you don't tell, no one will know you didn't pay $49 for it (like you would for a wrinkle-free blouse from Eddie Bauer) :)!

Thanks for stopping by!

Polly