June 28, 2006

Steak Cooking Chart


Earlier when I was writing the "French Country Steak" recipe, I remembered an old meat cooking method my mom had told me about. She said that you knew when to flip the steaks when "the blood came up." The fact is, that always works for me, because it's a visible sign of when I should turn. It produces a medium steak every time.

I realized that whole "blood" thing sounded a little crazy so I did a search to see if I could find any corroboration of that tip. Turns out she was right.

Check out Ask the Meatman™. This site describes it as "meat juices bubbling up through the steak" and "moisture pooling on top surface." I suppose that sounds a bit more appetizing than "blood coming up," so I changed my previous post.

The chart on this page seems to be farily foolproof if I think about how my mom used to cook steaks. You watch the steak for how much "juice" is coming up, and turn it according to how done you want your steak. For more well done, you just leave it longer on the second side.

The other hot tip is that you never want to turn a steak over and over. The Meatman™ says that dries out the surface of the steak. No matter how bad I want to flip and flip, I will restrain myself! It will mean a better steak!

No comments: