March 23, 2007

Measure like Mario


Those of us who are Food Network junkies often watch the celebrity chefs toss ingredients into a pan without so much as a measuring spoon making an appearance. Rachael Ray uses the palm of her hand, assuming a palmful is about a tablespoon. While I am becoming more adept at the "eyeball" method, sometimes I like to be a tad more precise. Just a tad, mind you. That's where these cute little Mario Batali measuring and prep bowls have really come in handy.

I was fortunate enough to receive this set as a gift, and I have appreciated them ever since. They measure from 1/8 cup to 2 cups, with half measurements on all 5 bowls. For instance, the smallest bowl measures 1/8 cup at the halfway mark and 1/4 cup when it's full, and the largest measures 1 and 2 cups. I use them to measure things like rice and other dry ingredients, and to stage ingredients to have at the ready when I'm cooking. I also use the larger sized bowls for stirring up dressing or vinagrette, and for whisking up an egg or two for breakfast.

These bowls come in several colors including Espresso shown here. Mine are a pretty Pesto color, and they also come in a nice Persimmon (orange). They are heavy-duty melamine, dishwasher safe and they nest, which I find not only convenient, but somehow comforting. No hunting for the right size. The set runs $9.99 on Amazon.

Measuring like celebrity chef Mario Batali – makes me feel Molto Bueno!

No comments: