March 01, 2007

My first spring wardrobe purchase

The weather here is miserable. Gray skies. Frequent, persistent preciptation (today rain, tomorrow snow). Uncomfortable temps. These days I am struggling to really care what I put on my body, so I tend to reach for the same three or four sweaters and jeans as my standard "I'm sick of winter" uniform.

So, to fight the end of winter blues, I have been looking for a few things to add to my wardrobe for spring. My best source for seasonal trend information has always been Style Bakery, where they recently posted the top ten trends for Spring. This year, like last year, there is a nautical trend emerging.

I love this whole yacht club look, with nautical stripes on everything. So, although it was a bit of a splurge for me (on sale with an extra 20% off it was $23), I clicked up this little boatneck sweater from J.Crew. It is a cotton and cashmere blend, and it comes in three colors: red/white, navy/white and black/white. As opposed to the typical navy/white stripe, I went with the black/white, shown here. I also ordered it a size larger than normal, because I want that little bit of slouch that seems like you borrowed the sweater from your boyfriend who's in the French navy.

I will probably wear this sweater with jeans while the weather is still cool-ish, and then with white jeans later on. It would also look cute with a little flippy white skirt. To avoid looking too costume-y, I would avoid doing all nautical head to toe.

Check out Style Bakery's recommendations, then do a little clicking yourself. It will be Spring before we know it!

1 comment:

Jules said...

Check out my post today - I think you'd be proud of me!