May 02, 2006

Coffee stain? What a pain.

So a co-worker of mine was commenting on the new jacket I’m wearing today (see previous post, Bargain Safari). I threw it on over a white polo tee from LaRedoute, khakis from Target and some new white espadrille slides. Going for the all-natural look and feeling pretty good about myself. She said that wearing the collar up was a good choice, because it hid the big coffee stains on my white shirt. At first I thought she was kidding, but alas. Two big drippy drops right on my pristine white top. Agg.

So I ran to the office kitchen and pulled out one of these little Coffee Wipes. I figured the least it could do is lighten the stains so I would not be so self conscious all day long. My stain had been there a while, because it was almost dry. But, I followed the directions and rubbed and rubbed and blotted and while I now have a big wet spot on the front of my top, the coffee stains are almost gone. I was very surprised, because historically my experience with any kind of wipes like these has been disappointing.

So I checked the package, went to the website and found out that these are different because they are enzyme cleaners, not the usual chemical cleaners. So the way they work is to actually break down the coffee stain. If I had got to the stain while it was still wet, I may have had 100% stain removal, but I will settle for 90-95% so I don't feel like I have a large brown target on my chest all day.

One of these will probably make its way into my "girl kit" so I am prepared the next time. Try them out.

(Girl Kit contents to be covered in a subsequent article.)

No comments: