August 18, 2006

Back to school time. Lesson one: Jeans.


When I start craving theme books, wooden rulers and piles of brand new #2 pencils, I know fall is almost here. And that always makes me think of back to school shopping for jeans.

Jeans are a hot topic right now, with articles appearing everywhere about the new styles and how to wear them. See a pretty comprehensive jeans matrix at Style Bakery. I personally stick to boot cut, some straight (not skinny) styles and trouser shapes. I experimented with trendier styles and they flat out do not work with my figure. If you want some good information about what works on your body type, go to What Not to Wear, where they have a handy little quiz that gives you a list of dos and don'ts for your figure.

While I tend to agree that you get what you pay for, I simply can not bring myself to spend $150-200 on a pair of jeans. For that much money they would have to have some kind of magic powers. I am a born bargain shopper, so I scour the clearance racks and usually come up with decent jeans at a discount price. Like my recent score: Gap original boot cut jeans. I picked these up at the Gap in my town, but online they are discounted from $58 to $19.99. These fit but are not too tight, not too low and not too flared. And for TWENTY BUCKS!? I dress them up with heels and a jacket, dress them down with a polo and skimmers, and in between with a camisole and espadrilles – they go with everything.

With that little nip in the air in the mornings, I know I'll soon be wearing my bargain jeans with sweaters, too. Try some on and see if they make the grade for you.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I heart What Not To Wear! I always try to think "WWS&CD?" (what would Stacy and Clinton do?) I've also found most of my jeans success at the Gap.

I just have to blogroll you. So many great tips!