August 30, 2006

Beefy Biscuits



Beefy Biscuits. That’s the name I have given these little bundles. And, bonus: they're really cute.

Bob has been craving down-home, basic, potluck dishes so I searching for a recipe that would take less than 30 minutes to prepare, and would leave him with lots of leftovers for his lunches. Bingo. These little Beefy Biscuits were perfect.

1 can refrigerated biscuits – I used Pillsbury® Grands Flaky Layers (8 count)
1 pound ground beef
Barbecue sauce – I used Emeril’s Kicked Up Barbecue Sauce
Seasonings to taste – we added a couple tablespoons of brown sugar
Shredded cheese – I used a pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend

Preheat the oven to 350º. Brown the ground beef. While the beef is cooking, press the biscuits into a muffin pan (I used a little non-stick spray to be safe). Work the biscuits up the sides to make little cups. After the beef is browned, add enough barbecue sauce to make it “gloppy” but not too “sloppy.” Fill each cup with the meat mixture, generously top with cheese and slide into the oven. Bake for about 12-15 minutes until they are puffed up, golden brown and the cheese is melted. (I started checking after 10 min. to make sure the bottom of each cup was done enough to hold its shape, but not burned.)

This is not particularly creative – similar recipes are everywhere. But, I think you could modify it to suit a picky eater, or just to mix it up. Instead of the barbecue, I will try tomato sauce or even a can of cream of mushroom. Really anything added to ground beef to make it “gloppy” will work.

Bob took two for his lunch today, and we froze a few, so I will report back as to how they work as leftovers. Give these a try. I think even the kids would be impressed.

2 comments:

BunGirl said...

yummy with ground italian turkey sausage and thick pasta sauce... thanks for the idea!!!

Polly King said...

Gosh, that sounds delish! I will have to try your twist on it and see how Bob rates it!