August 31, 2006

Perfect pot roast in the perfect pot – my slow cooker.


Amazon.com: West Bend 84755 5-Quart Oblong Slow Cooker

I fall more in love with my slow cooker every year. It's an older West Bend model, but similar to the one shown here. The base doubles as a non-stick griddle and has an adjustable temperature setting (1-5). The pot is metal with a non-stick interior and can be used in the oven, on the stovetop, or even on a grill, and is dishwasher safe.

The slow cooker is unlike a "crock pot" because the heat source is at the bottom. However, because of the metal construction of the pot, the heat is conducted evenly. You will be surprised how much more versatile a 1-5 temperature setting can be – as opposed to just "low, med, hi." The lowest setting is good for keeping foods warm. The highest setting will boil liquids, or is used for the griddle. For day-to-day slow cooking, and for smaller quantities of food for just the two of us, this is ideal.

Here is how I used the slow cooker yesterday for a pot roast that Bob literally gasped over.

1 4-lb. pot roast
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 can French onion soup, undiluted

On the stove over high heat, coat the bottom of the slow cooker pot with olive oil. Generously salt & pepper both sides of the roast. When the pot is pretty darn hot put the roast in and brown on both sides. Remove the pot from the stove and place on the base unit, at a heat setting of about 2 or 2-1/2. Surround the roast with the garlic clove halves, pour in the soup and put the lid on. Go to work. Come home 10-11 hours later. Shock your significant other with the news that this roast was this simple.

I love my slow cooker!

1 comment:

Jules said...

OOoh this sounds so good! I'm going to have to try it with my crock pot. Though mine is a round large one, I'm not sure if a roast would fit in it. Maybe I should invest in one like yours, that's more rectangular for these kinds of meats.