July 27, 2006

Bad hair days? Flatten them.


For me, hair styling has always been a hit-or-miss proposition. I have "accidentally good" hair days, but I can't seem to string them together because I can't remember what I did right. I recently embarked on a quest for no more bad hair days, hoping to use some new technology and some new product to come up with a system that works for me.

My first step was to upgrade a couple of personal care items in my drawer. First to go was the vintage blow dryer, in favor of a new one with ionic and ceramic technology. It was not a top of the line dryer by any means (it's a Vidal Sassoon one I got at Ulta for about $13), but combined with an ionic/ceramic brush (about $9), my hair is salon-soft.

While my hair was now as soft as I wanted it to be, it still had a mind of it's own. It flipped out on one side and in on the other. So, I went on a search for a new hair straightening iron. This is the one I picked up: the Conair Ultra Slim Straightener - CS4JCS for $17.99 at Walgreens. Unlike a little travel straightener I had used before, this one heats up in literally 60 seconds or less, it has really comfy handles and it stays consistently hot. I never had to hold the plates on any section of hair, rather I just slid the plates down the strands and got the effect I was looking for – hair that still has some bounce, but is controlled. I get consistent results in 5 minutes or less.

So, how will this work into my morning routine? I typically wrap my hair in a microfiber towel while I put on my makeup (see previous post), so by the time I get around to drying it, it’s just barely damp. I apply some straightening gel (currently using Paul Mitchell), and then clip my hair into sections and dry, starting with the back and bottom layers and working up. At this point I am not worrying about getting it straight, just getting it dry. Then, I plug in the straightener and tidy up for the 60 seconds it takes to heat up. I section my hair the same way and straighten. My goal is to control it, not to make it super-extra flat, so I am not spending a lot of time on any section.

Total time spent on my hair should now be in the 10-15 minute range. Not bad. And the bonus is that the time I save can be converted into sleep time!

No comments: