July 12, 2006

No-crust Broccoli and Ham Quiche


This is a very slight modification of recipe for no-crust quiche. Perfect for low-carb eaters, they turned out puffy, golden brown and delicious.

You'll need:
1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli florets
3-4 slices of deli ham, cut up
6 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half
About a cup of crumbled sharp cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

How to:
Preheat your oven to 350º.

Spray four ramekins with non-stick spray. I used these little creme brulée dishes from Crate & Barrel (shown). The recipe filled four just perfectly, and they looked even more like little individual quiches.

Microwave the broccoli, then drain and let cool while you combine the eggs, half and half, cheese, ham and s&p. Cut the broccoli into smaller pieces if you need to, then add to the egg mixture.

Put the ramekins on a rimmed cookie sheet and ladle the egg mixture evenly into each one.

Bake for about 40 minutes until puffed and golden brown.

There's really nothing to it. I have three left over, which I took out of the ramekins and put in plastic for breakfasts for the next few days. I think they should reheat pretty well in the microwave.

This is one of those recipes I can see myself changing up, substituting vegetables and cheese for a different flavor profile. Instead of the broccoli I could see using fresh zuchinni or asparagus or a carmelized onion.

Update: Reheated one for about 1.5 minutes in the microwave this morning and it was just delish. My next experiment will be to freeze them, which should work fine because regular quiches can be frozen for about a month after baking. A bunch of these in the freezer and I won't have to worry about breakfasts during the work week!

Second Update 7/26: I have made this recipe three times now, once with asparagus and once with just ham and cheese. The plain ham and cheese tempted Bob to try them, and he's hooked. I will be making these on a very regular basis.

On another note, I decided to research the origin of the recipe. I had originally seen this recipe on a blog and the author credited it to Martha Stewart. It may have been originally hers, but crustless quiche recipes are all over the place, popular on low-carb recipe sites as well as mainstream cooking sites. So, if it was Martha's to start with, it's everyone's now. Bon appétit!

No comments: