July 21, 2006

Cool summer eyeshadow (literally), and mineral makeup that doesn't break the bank.

I am not a beauty product maven by any means, but occasionally I run across things that work pretty well for me. If you don't have an Ulta store near you, you can go to their website to find these (and lots more).

The first is called Cooling Eyeshadow. I haven't used a cream eyeshadow in years, so they must have been improved since... oh, say the 70s. It comes in three colors, Sunkist Pink, Bronze Shimmer, and Gold Glow. Pink shadow makes women my age look like we've been crying, so I chose the Gold Glow. It goes on with a slight "cooling" sensation, easily blends and all I need is a touch of liner and some mascara and it's a simple, less-than-five-minute look that I have been wearing all summer.


The second product is Ulta's own mineral makeup. I decided to try mineral makeup a while back, but I was very dubious at first. After all, they tell women of a certain age that powder tends to settle into fine lines, making us look older. Egad, anything but that. However, this type of makeup provides good coverage without any kind of heavy feeling and low and behold it's nothing like wearing powder. Bonus, the minerals are supposed to have some extra goodies like antioxidants that are actually said to improve the condition of the skin. I was a convert, but OUCH, the Bare Minerals I was using was pretty pricey, $25.

When I ran out of the Bare Minerals, I noticed that Ulta had come out with their own brand, and at $14, it was tempting. It came in fewer colors but one that matched what I was using so I grabbed it. What's the worst that could happen? I notice no real difference in the way the Ulta mineral makeup goes on, the coverage is the same and it feels as lightweight as the expensive stuff. I actually like the Ulta packaging better, because it has a transparent, domed lid, which is where I put the powder on the brush. It's not often you find something cheaper that works the way the expensive stuff does.

Both lines are available at Ulta, so you could try both yourself and see if you notice a difference. I will take the savings and go have myself a double-shot Brevé instead!

3 comments:

LAC said...

A fellow blogger told me about another great mineral makeup brand that is even cheaper than Ulta. I LOVE IT TO DEATH!

www.everydaminerals.com. You can get a free sample kit for the cost of shipping which was $3.65 when I got mine a few weeks ago.

LOVE your site!!!!! I am adding your to my read daily link list!!

LAC said...

Its www.everydayminerals.com, sorry the link was misspelled.

Polly King said...

Thanks so much! I will check that out the minute I get a chance.