January 20, 2007

I did it! I made Hollandaise!

The Bob isn't a huge vegetable fan (with the exception of mashed potatoes), but he will eat his veggies if they are smothered in a luscious sauce. One night he suggested asparagus with Hollandaise sauce and I shuddered.

Hollandaise. The Holy Grail of sauces. Eggs. Butter. Whisking. Double boilers. The danger of separation. Very scary.

So, I will start by describing my first attempt at "egg sauce," which was a disaster. I had read a recipe in The Joy of Cooking for "blender Hollandaise." Well, blenders don't scare me, so I thought I would try that. You were to put two egg yolks in the blender (I used my mini-chopper), with salt, a pinch of cayenne and a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. Then you were supposed to stream in 1/2 cup of melted butter. My chopper lid is designed to stream in liquids, so I thought this would totally work. And it may have. The problem was I let the butter cool too much and it didn't incorporate. I was devastated.

But Hollandaise is versatile. The ingredients are on hand and cheap. And The Bob requested it. So, I thought I would give it another try.

This morning I had the cookbook at the ready, a pot of coffee made, and the house to myself so that no one would be a witness if it failed again. This time I decided to give the old-fashioned technique a try. The recipe came from "The American Woman's Cookbook," published in 1949.

Here's what you'll need:
2 egg yolks (separating eggs is easy, don't sweat it)
1/2 cup butter – 1 stick
1/4 t salt
Pinch of cayenne (red) pepper

Here's how you do it:
I don't own a double boiler and I don't know many people who do. Put hot water in a saucepan and set a heat-proof bowl over it, making sure the water does't touch the bottom of the pan. Turned on the flame very low. The idea is to have the water hot, but not boiling. Just lift up the bowl every now and then to make sure it's not boiling, and adjust the flame/heat if you need to. Now take your two egg yolks and a couple of tablespoons of the butter and put them in the bowl. Whisk, whisk, whisk. The butter will melt slowly. Keep whisking. When the first bit of butter melts, plop in the next two-tablespoon hunk. Do this with all four bits of butter. When all the butter is in, it should be pretty thick. Now add the salt and cayenne and whisk them in.

I left the bowl over the pan, with the flame turned down VERY low to keep the sauce warm while I made my breakfast. I just gave it a whisk every now and then to make sure it didn't separate. It was a wonderful, lemony yellow color, and the taste was rich, but bright from the lemon juice.

I did it. I made Hollandaise. It wasn't overly difficult, you just neet time, some patience and a careful eye on the heat. The Bob will get a treat the next time I serve asparagus!

No comments: