January 15, 2007

Mini-Review – The Illusionist (2006)



Synopsis: Ho, ho, ho, it's magic, you know. Never believe it's not so.


Set in turn-of-the-century Vienna, this film runs the gamut from love story to mystery to suspense and back again. Edward Norton plays Eisenheim, a boy who meets and loses a girl who is way out of his league. Years later he returns to Vienna as Eisenheim the successful, master Illusionist. He is reunited with his true love Sophie (Jessica Biel) during one of his performances, when her fiance the villanous Crown Prince Leopold volunteers her for an illusion. Soon enough Eisenheim is under suspicion, and Leopold assigns Inspector Uhl, played by Paul Giamatti, to investigate him. The effects in this film are spectacular, creating the perfect atmosphere to surrender all disbelief. It's a terrific looking film, very rich. The Bob loved this film, so don't worry guys, it's not strictly a "chick flick." It's rated PG-13 for some sexuality and violence, so probably not for kids.

3 comments:

Peg said...

That sounds better than I thought it was from the ads. I hardly get out to the movies, but now I really want to. I'm adding that to my "want to see it" list!!

Polly King said...

There were a couple of films about magicians that came out at roughly the same time, so I wasn't sure this was going to be the good one. But even Pajiba, the scathing movie review site, gave it a good review. So, let me know what you think after you watch!

Jules said...

I really liked the Illusionist. I was proud of myself that I figured out the twist 1/2 way through. I rule.