January 28, 2007

Quick and easy crochet craft – cozy neck warmer

I have become unusually preocccupied with scarves. I can't seem to get enough of them. They're just that little finishing touch that makes the "outside outfit" work. Combine that with my mid-winter need to be crafty, and this is what happens.

This is actually the second neck warmer I have made. A friend liked the first one I made so much I gave it to her, and made myself another one. This time I used Lion brand Homespun yarn. I love the cushy, bouclé texture of this yarn, and the very subtle gradient color. If you need to brush up on stitches, here's a site that will help you.

This project took about 1/2 of the 6 oz. ball. Any yarn you like would work, it just may take more or less to get the size you need.

Here's how I made mine. With a size K hook, I chained 22. I then made one single crochet in each chain, skipping the first chain from the hook, 21 stitches. Chain 2 and turn. Double crochet in each single crochet across. Chain 1 and turn. Continue alternating single and double crochet rows until you get the total length you need. Mine measured about 23 inches long. Fold the rectangle in half, lining up the short ends. Then insert the hook through both layers and single crochet across to join. That's it!

I think you could experiment with any stitches you like, and just alternate rows to create a pleasing pattern. When you pop it on with your coat or jacket, it creates a very neat cowl effect, and it's very cozy and warm. Give this one a try!

1 comment:

Francie said...

So this is like a tube? That's an awesome idea! I just recently got into the neck warmer kick and have been making them with buttons as the connector... I like your idea, though! (auntiefrancie.blogspot.com)
Just posted a blog recently on my neck warmer!