December 13, 2006

Thankfully – an easy leftover turkey casserole


I know it's been a few weeks since Thanksgiving, but I made a turkey breast in the crock pot this past weekend (see my previous post here for the how to), and had some leftovers I wanted to use up. This time of year, The Bob requests big comfort foods, so I cooked up this easy pseudo-Thanksgiving-leftovers casserole for him. This is falling-off-a-log simple.

You'll need:
1 box of cornbread stuffing mix (such as Stove Top; serves 4)
1 can of corn, drained
about 2 cups cooked turkey, cut up
1 jar of turkey gravy
1 pkg instant mashed potatoes (serves 4; flavored is okay)

Here's how to do it:
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9x9 square baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. Prepare the potatoes per package instructions (I did them in the microwave), and reserve.
3. Put the stuffing mix in the bottom of the dish and pour the water/butter over, following the package for measurements. Stir to make sure all the stuffing is moistened. Press into the bottom and slightly up the sides to create a crust.
4. Over the stuffing, layer the corn, the turkey and the whole jar of gravy. Drop the potatoes on top and smooth with a spatula. I raked a fork across the top to create a lattice pattern.
5. Pop in the oven for about 30 mintues, until heated through and the top is a little browned.

You could easily use chicken in place of the turkey, and switch up the stuffing and gravy to suit. Bob likes corn, but that could be omitted.

An easy, very fast, turkey casserole that you'll be thankful for on a weeknight.

2 comments:

Jules said...

This sounds so easy and unbelievably comforting. Now if I could just get my ass off the couch to make it... :-)

Polly King said...

I know it! This time of year it's very hard to get motivated to expend energy after the sun goes down! But, look at it this way - it's less than 10 minutes of prep work, then 30 minutes of couch time!

Thanks, Julie!