April 21, 2006

Crock Pot Suggstion – TURKEY BREAST


We do lots and lots of pork and beef roasts, and to be honest we get tired of them. So, I decided to try a turkey breast in the crock pot. Most people say it won't work, but it did for me and here's all there is to it.

Take a mostly-frozen to all-the-way frozen turkey breast, skin and bones on (a 6 lb breast worked well in the size crock pot I had), and put it in the pot skin side up. Salt and pepper the top of the breast. Sprinkle liberally with poultry seasoning. Then drizzle it with a little extra virgin olive oil – I'd say I used around 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup. Set it for 10 hours, put the lid on and go to work. That's right. No water, no soup, nothing but salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and olive oil.

I will admit I sweated it a little, and had a few people tell me I would go home to a dried out piece of meat. But it was juicy, tender and delicious. The broth was unbelievable, and there was quite a bit of it.

It's not a glamorous way to fix a turkey breast, but this will be a standard in my slow-cooking lineup from now on. It tasted wonderful, and there was tons of meat for sandwiches, soups or salads.

No comments: