April 17, 2006

Mini Review – A History of Violence

A History of Violence

Synopsis: Small town diner owner isn't what he appears to be. Or, check your guns at the door, boys.

Rating: Ick! Eww! Egad!

Okay, I get it, I get it. But I didn't buy it.

I didn't buy Viggo as the quiet diner owner, I didn't buy his reactions to the bad men showing up, I didn't buy his confession to his wife, I didn't buy his wife's reaction to it, I didn't buy the brother, the gangsters, nothing. I didn't buy any of it. He seemed to me to be a cardboard cut out with a bad haircut. What was thrown in to pass for real emotion was an angry prelude to a horrible, violent sex scene. Ick! I may have been more drawn in and cared whether or not the guy got out of whatever he was into if I bought any of it. As it was I got to the end of the film and realized that the director was the one who got away with murder. Speaking of the violence, there were about 4 scenes that were pretty disgusting. I am not usually a wimp about that, but at one point I was sincerely grossed out. Obviously not for kids.

I realize this film got good reviews, but this one I can not personally recommend. Go with your gut.

That's my (long) mini-review.

No comments: