April 06, 2006

Cat food that actually works the way they say it will.

If you are a cat owner like me, you know the trauma of "that sound". That revolting sound of your precious feline about to hurl a disgusting hair ball. And then you see it about to happen. She is standing in the middle of your brand new Pottery Barn duvet and there's no time to act. You try herding her onto the easy-to-clean floor but it's too late. Then comes the splat.

I have lived with many cats in my life, and believed that hair balls were just part of the program. And, I suppose they are to some degree. But when premium cat foods came out with claims of reducing hair balls, I tried most all of them. Nothing worked like this stuff.

The claims seem ridiculous. Fewer hair balls AND less litter box odor?! So I tried it and I have been sold on Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care now for five years. I can count on one hand the number of times my cats, George and Mallory, puke hair balls in a year's time. In fact, except for in times of stress, they just do not puke. And Mallory, the older cat was a BIG puker before – she has that thick, dark gray fur that makes really good hair balls. As for litter box odor, I did notice a difference. The poop (sorry about this) is a solid consistency, with very little or no smell at all.

I feed them ONLY the dry food, which also claims to benefit their skin and coat, their digestive tract and their dental health. Bonus. I was concerned about switching up on the varities, but they have all continued working, and the cats seem to like all the flavors. Right now they are on "Indoor weight control."

Nutro is priced more than grocery store brands, but less than the super-premium stuff. The web site offers a store search feature, and a "frequent buyer program". Check it.

George and Mallory and I highly recommend this product.
Publish
(Of course, George and Mallory would recommend mice and rubber bands, but they can't type...)

Update 1/5/07: This food is available at PetSmart. I buy in-store, but it's also available online.

No comments: