April 13, 2006

Perfect for the spring trends. And DIRT CHEAP.



This is a must see. I grabbed this in two colors without batting an eye. Of all places, I found this sweater at Wal-Mart. In-store, the price was marked down to $7. Online it's at $6. One note: The sweaters in-store are not a "double V" neckline like the one online, shown here. The fabric content is the same, so the only difference appears to be the V in the back. I would not have a problem with the double V neckline, I have been seeing more of them out for spring.

Either way, I think it's a steal. It reminds me of a cable sweater at J.Crew that sells for a LOT more.

I have a few tricks for shopping at a place like Wal-Mart for clothes.

The first thing is picking the right color(s). When you look at the pictures on the website you may see what I mean. Some of the colors just look a little cheesy. The more classic the color, the more it works. I got natural and white (the web site has what I think is the natural, they call Whipped Cream... the white must be only in stores). Since white and naturals are big this spring, that's a bonus. Black is a basic color, but in these machine-washable cotton blend fabrics, black will fade pretty fast (you'd have the same problem with red). The yellow is a good possibility, because it's a lemony shade that's not too obnoxious. The rest of the colors are probably a pass for me.

My other trick is to wash in cold water and hang or lay flat to dry. I think this keeps a cheap sweater from looking too worn too quickly. That may seem like too much trouble for a cheap sweater, but think of how low your per-wear cost will be if it lasts just that much longer!

The last trick is just to think of it like this: it was $7! It's not a wardrobe "investment." It's a fun little sweater for spring. When it starts looking a little ragged, get rid of it and don't feel bad!

There you go. Something springy and on-trend for CHEAP!!

1 comment:

Polly King said...

Here's the link to the J.Crew sweater.

It's cashmere and $148. If you're going for an investment, this is a gorgeous sweater. If you want a similar look for next to nothing, get your butt to Wally World.