April 05, 2006

Ahh spring. Stop and smell the sewing machine oil.

This is the time of the year, inevitably, that I get the urge to start sewing. Not that I ever accomplish all my projects, but I love the lure of fabric and thread and patterns. All the shopping sites give me ideas, and there are usually patterns that are similar to the new styles, or that can be adapted to suit you.

One word of caution. Get over the thought that this is a "cheaper" way to get the latest styles. In the end, it's not. By the time you buy a pattern, the fabric, trims and notions, you will have some cash invested in the project. But, saving money not the "reason" I want to sew. It's fun. I have something I created that's unique. And it makes it feel like spring.

So, my first project. Very Easy Very Vogue pattern #8038.

The fabric I bought is a vintage looking tiny blue floral on a white background. I got an equal amount of plain white fabric to line it. The fabric was a dirt cheap cotton I got for like a buck a yard. I prewash all my fabrics, especially the cheap stuff, so I know it's preshrunk.

I am contemplating some grosgrain trim... that would be my "designer touch," possibly around the hem. I saw something similar in J.Crew. We'll see how it goes. My thought is to wear this either with a white tee or tank and flats, or a closer-fitting white cotton blouse and small (not tall) heels.

Get out the sewing machines. It's spring.

No comments: