November 25, 2006

Give your gift wrapping a signature touch

Half the fun of getting a gift is the unwrapping. A carefully wrapped gift creates exitement and anticipation, and shows that the giver cares. Every year I come up with my own signature gift wrapping, but you know if you have spent any time at Home Ec. for Grownups that my method is designed to be a time saver, as well as budget conscious.

Here are some ideas for you to try that have all been successful for me, not to mention very cute!


"Special Delivery"

You'll need:
• Brown kraft paper, found on rolls at your office supply store
• Manila hang tags, also from the office supply store
• Colored markers – I use red and green for a bit of color
• Cotton twine

Wrap the box in the kraft paper as usual, then tie the twine bundle-style around the package. Use the manila hang tag as the gift tag. As a variation on this theme, I have used a stamp pad and holiday stamps to decorate the top of the package, as well as the hang tag.


"Simply Wonderful"

• White rolled kraft paper
• Red grosgrain ribbon – use whatever width you like; I use something like 1/2" or 3/4"
• Mini ornament – I find these in packages of 8 or 10 in stores such as Big Lots

Wrap your boxes in the white paper and tie with the grosgrain ribbon. Be as generous as you can with the ribbon. I never mastered the art of tying a big, fancy bow, but I think a simple bow looks best anyway. Tie a mini ornament in the center of the bow – preferably one that reflects the receipient's tastes or interests.

You can vary the ribbon color on this style. I have used cream on white for a simpler tone-on-tone look, striped green/white gives a more woodsy effect. I think a white, round grommeted tag would be a nice touch on this, but experiment and see what you like. The thing to remember is that each package uses the same white base, saving you time and money.

The beauty of either of these ideas is that when your gifts are all wrapped and under the tree, they become part of the decor. My style tends to be more "country cottage" or "cabin in the woods," but your style tends toward more formal or "glitzy" think about all your gifts in the same metallic paper, with satin ribbon.

I have not decided what my look will be for '07, but I am thinking about a Trapper's Blanket effect using cream or white paper and ribbon "stripes" in black, red, yellow and green.


Try something with your own signature touch this year, and get ready for the compliments you will get, not just for the gift, but for the wrapping!

2 comments:

BunGirl said...

I love this! I almost always do themes for my wrapping. This year is winter wonderland -- I bought a bunch of wrapping papers with an ice blue base and I'm using shimmery white ribbon and big snowflake ornaments. I have done the brown paper thing, and it was a total hit. I also did the plain white, but I used both red and green velvet ribbon to give it a bit of a luxurious feel.

Polly King said...

I LOVE the idea of the red/green velvet with plain white. Very elegant. And, your icy/shimmery look this year sounds perfect!

I am still thinking about this year's wrapping. I am now leaning toward something that is a cross between scrap booking and gift wrapping... sort of embellished packages. Who knows? I'm going to the craft store today to get some inspiration.

Thanks again, bun-girl!

Polly