November 20, 2006

Here's a cool tip for painting projects around the house.


I really love painting projects – it's a fast, inexpensive way to change a room or change the look of a piece of furniture. I am currently painting my old kitchen cabinets, and I am really happy with the results. But, I do NOT love the cleanup, so I try to streamline it.

Here's a simple tip to remember when you're painting and your project will take more than a day to complete. If you're going to be using the same acrylic latex color (not oil based), wrap your roller or brush in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator overnight. I use a small zip-top bag for my smaller brushes, squeezing out the air when sealing. The paint stays moist, and you're ready to go the next day. If it's a project you're not going to get to the very next day, put the wrapped roller or brush in the freezer. You will just need to allow a little time for it to thaw when you're ready to pick your project up again.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but I have done it a million times, always with great results. So, stay "cool" the next time you're painting and you won't sweat the cleanup!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very great tip. I have an uncle who is a painter and that's the tricks they use.

Polly King said...

Thanks, Mikala!

Polly