November 16, 2006

Holiday Decorating with Candy

This is a holiday decoration that I came up with a few years back, mostly out of necessity – we didn't have a lot of money to spend on decorations, so I needed lots of bang for my buck. I used this idea a couple of years in a row, first on our mantle, then in the kitchen, and it never failed to get compliments.


Here's all you need:
• Peppermint candy
• Candy canes
• Peppermint sticks
• Clear glass containers – glasses, vases, hurricanes, whatever you have in the house will work with this idea
• Red satin or grosgrain ribbon, optional

Get enough candy to completely fill several containers. (Hint: Keep them in their wrappers and you can reuse year after year.)

Then just have fun. Hook candy canes around tall, cylinders or clear glass tumblers. Stand peppermint sticks in shorter, rocks glasses and tie with ribbon. Fill a brandy snifter or a martini glass with peppermint candies and tie the stem with a ribbon. Fill the bottom of a vase with peppermint candies and stand peppermint sticks or candy canes to resemble a bouquet in "water."

Then arrange the filled containers all together, varying the height. I suggest placing them in among some greenery or garland for the added color and pop. Little white lights look gorgeous with this, too.

This idea would make a fantastic centerpice for a holiday buffet table (I may do this myself this year!).

4 comments:

BunGirl said...

What a cute idea! I'm going to have to try this one.

Polly King said...

Let me know how it turns out for you! I'm excited about decorating this year... I'm thinking of a couple of new decorating ideas. If/when I come up with something, I'll post it.

Thanks for stopping by!

Polly

Anonymous said...

Very cute idea...I might have to do that.

I'm excited about decorating too - it's my first house and it's my first Christmas in the house...so I already spent way too much on my decorations. Weeee!!!

Polly King said...

Mikala –

How fun!! I love decorating for the holidays. This should be a special one for you in your first house. Enjoy!

Polly