November 23, 2006

My Thanksgiving tradition – Cornbread Salad

Bob and I don't remember when I first made this recipe for Thanksgiving – I think I tried it the first year we were together, hoping to impress his family. He thinks I tried it out on him before that. In any case, it was a huge hit, and the story in the family now is that the Cornbread Salad is my "ticket" to Thanksgiving dinner. If I show up without it, I can't get in! It's a joke of course, but I dare not disappoint all my fans!

It's a layered salad with a combination of flavors that's just so crazy it works. Don't let the ingredient list throw you. Yes, it includes sweet pickles, cornbread, tomatoes, onion and green pepper. But it also includes a lot of mayonnaise and a full pound of bacon, so how can you go wrong.

You'll find the recipe on Allrecipes.com. A few tips. I use my mini-chopper to make the dicing faster, and I drain as much liquid out of the veggies as I can before layering them over the cornbread. I also dice up the bacon before frying it to save a step.

I hope yours will be a wonderful day full of great family traditions, like my Cornbread Salad. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: