November 07, 2006

NEW! Creamy, cheesy, chicken rollups


The original was pretty good, but I think this little modification made a difference, and will become my new standard. Bob and I both loved it. Basically, I replaced the flavored Philly from the original recipe with Alouette Spreadable Cheese in their Sundried Tomato and Basil flavor. I swapped a thin slice of deli ham for the prociutto. Also, instead of browning before putting the rollups in the oven, I just put them directly into a 350º oven for about 45 minutes, and they were extra tender and juicy. They weren't as brown as the original recipe, but I sprinkled the tops with salt, pepper and some poultry seasoning, which did give them some color.

So, here's the new, improved "creamy, cheesy chicken rollups" recipe!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin
2 T or so Alouette Spreadable Cheese – I think any flavor would work, but I recommend the sundried tomato!
4 slices deli ham
Salt, pepper & poultry seasoning

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9x12 Pyrex® dish with non-stick spray. Spread a layer of cheese on each chicken breast, then top with a slice of ham. Roll, jellyroll style, and place seam side down in baking dish. Salt, pepper & poultry season to taste. Bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Check for doneness. The cheese & the juices from the chicken make a nice sauce right in the pan.

They take a little prep up front, but the result is worth it. They also look pretty enough for company. So, give these a whirl and let me know how they work for you!

No comments: