October 11, 2006

Easy one-skillet meal – Reuben Bake


This was easy. Ridiculously easy. Perfect for a dismal, drizzly Tuesday night. I'm calling it a Reuben Bake, but it starts life in an oven proof skillet.

1 lb. package fully-cooked smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4" disks (I used Beef)
1 15 oz. can sauerkraut, drained and squeezed
1 cup (or so) thousand island dressing
8 slices Swiss cheese
1/2 t. (or so) carraway seeds (opt.)
1/2 t. (or so) paprika (opt.)

Here's all you do.

Heat your oven to 350º. In an oven proof skillet drizzled with some olive oil, brown the smoked sausage over medium heat, then pour off any excess grease. Spread the sausage evenly in the pan. Layer in the sauerkraut, the spices, the dressing and the cheese. Pop into the oven for about 1/2 an hour until it's bubbly and the cheese is lightly browned.

I toasted some dark rye bread for Bob and spooned the Reuben bake over, making open-faced sandwiches. I had it right out of the pan with a small salad. Easy to make, easy to clean up.

Ridiculously easy Reuben Bake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, that sounds good! I'll have to try that one.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Mmmm...sounds great!

I'll try it and if it's as good as you say, I'll steal it and add it to my cooking site (giving you credit of course).

Polly King said...

I don't often brag about my own cooking (I let Bob do that), but this was pretty darn good. Let me know how it works out for you!

And, if you post the recipe and credit me, I will gladly link to your page!

Miss Notesy said...

I love reubens!!!!!! Yummy, can't wait to try this!!

Miss Notesy said...

I love reubens!!!!!! Yummy, can't wait to try this!!