October 27, 2006

Quick, easy, cheap and CUTE Halloween pumpkin idea


If I had time (and patience), I would definitely carve pumpkins to rival Martha Stewart. Unfortnately, I don't have a staff to help me with that, so I am on my own when it comes to holiday decorating.

Bob brought home several pumpkins to decorate our porch this year, and I did a cute fall arrangement of them with a straw bale and some fall foliage. But I wanted to do something a little special with them just for Halloween. My idea is to keep them whole, so hopefully they will last a bit into November.


So, here's the TRICK. I gave my pumpkins "costumes!" Believe me this is so cute, and fast, and cheap! And your neighbors will RUN to the store to copy you next year.

I lined up three pumpkins – two short guys on either side, and a tall "girl" in the center. On each one I put a black plastic mask, which I found at the craft store for about $1 a piece. The elastic holds the masks in place. Then on the center one, I found a black, foam witch's hat that I put on and secured in place with a couple of long nails (T-pins would work as well). The foam makes it weatherproof, too, which is a bonus!

They have adorable "personalities" now!

I'm telling you, try this. You will get lots of comments on your "trick or treaters." This would also work well for a centerpiece for your holiday party. It takes about 2 minutes and less than five bucks. That's a trick and a TREAT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, that's a really cute idea - how do you come up with this stuff? I am in awe!

I don't really feel like carving this year, so maybe I'll do that. I just put a couple pumpkins out with some mums. Dressing the pumpkins up is a really cute idea. Thanks!

Criss said...

I'm not a 'grown up', but i still like your home-ec ideas, this one is quite good for saving time and energy, plus i'm not very good at pumpkin carvery. =]

Polly King said...

Thanks for the comments! Michelle, this is a modification of a much more labor intensive idea I saw in a magazine... I just simplified it, and actually like the results I got even more than the more complicated idea. They are very simple, which makes them cute! Directionist, I am ALL about saving time and money, but its even better when you look like the most orgainzed person on the block! Bonus!

Thanks again, guys.
Polly