October 09, 2006

Mini-Review – X-Men: The Last Stand

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

Synopsis: Finally. The cure for the common mutant.

It's very hard for me to be critical of comic book superhero movies (okay, except for Fantastic Four, that was easy). So realize that while I found a lot in the latest installment of the X-Men to like, it pains me to say that there was also a lot I didn't like. Likes: the special effects are impressive, Jean is back (and man, is she pissed) and Wolverine is still crush-worthy. Dislikes: characters with no discernable super powers, characters with useless super powers, super powers that suddenly don't seem very super (come on, if you can FLY, why do you have to move the bridge?), too many new characters to care about and favorite characters that disappear or die for no apparent reason. I guess all that makes me sound like a stickler, but I do appreciate a movie with a good plot, and that was what was missing for me in this film. I recommend it for its main attribute: mindless fun. Some younger kids might find the Jean Grey scenes scary (I did!), so keep in mind the PG-13 rating.

No comments: