October 06, 2006

The most important thing I learned from my high school job at McDonald's

Like a lot of people, my first job was working at McDonald's in the small town I grew up in. One thing I learned was humility – because we were required to wear horrible, greasy, polyester uniforms. All these years later I am almost over it.

I did learn one thing that has stuck with me and truly makes a difference in my life. Clean as you go.

In the kitchen. I simply will not start dinner if there are dishes in the sink. Letting the dishes pile up until after dinner just means that I'll still be washing dishes halfway through "Survivor." Taking the few minutes to wash those things up gives me a clean slate to start with. I also run a sink full of soapy water, drop things in as I work and, depending on the cooking time, wash them up while dinner's in the oven. Clean as you go, and you will be out of the kitchen and on the couch much sooner.
In the bedroom. I don't leave for work until the bed is made. If that brings back bad memories of your parents' rules, I apologize. Truth is, they were right. Making the bed only takes a couple of minutes. Then it's done. It makes the room look and feel cleaner. It also makes the room feel calmer. Clean sight lines are important after a long day at work. You will be surprised.
In the living room. One quick pass through a day is all that's needed to tidy up, corral magazines and toss newspapers. I suggest keeping a small trash can in the room – the fewer reasons you have to avoid straightening up the better. Remember: letting the clutter pile up makes for a much bigger chore later on.
In the bathroom. I keep a container of disinfecting wipes right on the counter day to day, and stow them below when company's coming. Keeping them on the counter makes it easy for me to swipe down the counter and sink while I'm brushing my teeth. It smells fresh, too, making the whole bathroom seem cleaner.

My parents told me getting a job at 16 would pay off someday. They may have meant something different, but they were right in one way. I learned – Clean as you go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, "clean as you go"! I'm OCD in that I get very frustrated when things are cluttered. I can't stand it!

I, absolutely, love your tip to clean the dishes before you start dinner (I am bad at that). Sometimes, I'll get stuck doing dishes for a good 15 minutes because I'm doing the dishes for two nights. I have to admit, I never make my bed - I just close the door! :o) Since your post, I'm going to try to make it everyday and see if it makes me feel better (it's most likely that it will). And, my mom got me started on the disinfecting wipes, those are a lifesaver!

Keep the tips a comin'!

Polly King said...

Congratulations on your new home, Michelle! The thing about making the bed is once you start doing it, it becomes part of the routine and it makes very little impact. Bob and I have a standing deal – whoever's out of bed last makes the bed. During the week, that happens to be me. But on weekends, the race is on. I will JUMP out to beat him just so he has to do it once in a while!! Thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments!

Tara said...

Hi! I found your blog using the Random Blog link. I used to work at McDonald's too, and I know that I learned that patience is definitely a virtue that pays off in other jobs.

I never looked at the "clean as you go" method, but I'll try some of your tips! Especially making the bed in the morning.

Jules said...

I really like the disinfecting wipes in the bathroom idea. I was an Applebee's server, so I definitely understand and appreciate the "clean as you go" method. We called it "pre-bussing".

Polly King said...

Thanks Tara and Julie!

Now if I could train Bob to think like this I'd have it made. He doesn't seem to grasp the concept! When he and I cook together, he is the "executive chef" and I'm the prep cook! I clean for HIM as HE goes!

Polly