October 01, 2006

Chicken curry my way.

This is a takeoff on a chicken curry recipe I found on All Recipes. I swapped coconut milk for the water called for in the original recipe, and I added the cilantro. I think these changes improved the overall taste and texture of the dish. Bob said, “we can have this again” so I know it’s a winner.

Here’s what you’ll need:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 1” cubes
1 big onion, chopped
1 t ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, smashed
¼ t ground ginger
1 t paprika
3 T curry powder – I used a hot madras curry, but mild would work fine, too
½ t Splenda (or sugar)
Pinch of salt
1 T tomato paste
¼ c olive oil
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
½ t cayenne pepper (or more if you like it extra spicy)
The juice of ½ lemon
A handful of cilantro, roughly chopped

Here’s how you make it:
1. In a big, deep skillet with a lid, sauté the onion in the oil until browned. Add the cinnamon, bay leaf, ginger, paprika, curry powder, Splenda and salt. Cook the spices with the onion for a couple of minutes, stirring to combine well. The mixture will become like a paste.
2. Add the chicken and mix to coat each piece with the yummy spices. Add the tomato paste and stir. Pour the coconut milk over all and stir to combine. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Right before serving, squeeze in the lemon juice, cayenne and about ½ the cilantro and stir to combine. Garnish with the rest of the cilantro.

I served this with a simple boxed cous cous (with about a teaspoon of curry powder added) and pitas to mop up the delicious sauce. Plain rice would also work. It was great the next day, too. It’s impressive enough to serve for company, but quick enough to make on a weeknight. Try it!

4 comments:

Jules said...

Oooh this looks great and easy. I love curry and don't use it enough. Do you have any idea what the calorie/fat content is? (I love the AllRecipes site and I know they usually post the nutritional content.)

Polly King said...

Hi, Julie:

The recipe I based mine on is here: http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/ChickenCurry.asp, and it has nutrition information. I reduced the amount of onion (Bob's funny about too much onion), and added the coconut milk and cilantro. Coconut milk would add calories and fat. But since I eat low carb (no cous cous for me!), I didn't really pay attention to anything else. I was just thrilled that unsweetened coconut milk has relatively few carbs per serving, but added lots of flavor. Let me know if you try this!

Polly

lufra said...

i want to put some images on my blog, on the right side, but i'm not able...can u help me please?
(sorry for my english!!!)
:)

Polly King said...

I am certainly not an expert at this (it sucks to be your own admin!)... but I did manage to get the "Bestest" logo in my sidebar. I copied the link from my own post (since it was already uploaded to Blogger)into the template. I scrolled down until I saw "sidebar" content, and pasted it there. I am sure others can help you much more than I can on this. It's much easier to place pictures into the posts themselves with Blogger's handy-dandy button!

Polly